From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:06:45
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:42:27 +0200 "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò"
3 >
4 > | > Setting CFLAGS and praying is not asking for something. Setting a
5 > | > MY_X86_CPU_DOES_THIS_MKAY variable is asking for something.
6 > |
7 > | And if you know what your CPU does, is it that difficult to tell the
8 > | compiler to use them?
9 >
10 > Yes. That -msse -mnosse2 stuff is a nasty hack, especially when one
11 > remembers that for years we've been screaming at users for doing just
12 > that.
15 I could find a million threads in the forums supporting what Ciaran is
16 saying here. We have been told over and over and over until my head
17 feels bashed in that MMX/SSE, etc... are NOT TO BE PUT IN CFLAGS!! THAT
18 IS WHAT USE FLAGS ARE FOR!!!!
19
20 Every developer who has ever commented on one of these threads has
21 always agreed with that. Put it in USE not CLFAGS.
22
23 To change this behavior now after all this time would be crazy IMHO.