From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:22:52
1 On Thursday 06 July 2006 22:02, Curtis Napier wrote:
2 > Every developer who has ever commented on one of these threads has
3 > always agreed with that. Put it in USE not CLFAGS.
4 Well it's not totally right.
5
6 Putting them in CFLAGS, when using -march, is redundant, pure and simple.
7
8 -march=athlon64 -msse -msse2 -mmmx -m3dnow -m3dnowex
9 would be equivalent of
10 -march=athlon64
11
12 If you have a new Athlon64 that supports SSE3, using
13 -march=athlon64 -msse3
14 is not only legit, but also (in my opinion at least) suggested. GCC can
15 improve heavily if it knows what it has to do.
16
17 The problem is that people think that using
18 -march=pentium3 -mmmx
19 will bring them more acceleration, while this isn't true.
20
21 So I would suggest anybody wanting to comment on these issue to know the
22 difference of using mmx in useflag and -mmmx in CFLAGS at the moment.
23 And then evaluate the change in behaviour.
26 Note: -march=i586 -mmmx for Pentium (classic) MMX is a good idea most of the
27 times, as it's not an i686 but at the same time it has MMX support.
30 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
31 Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE