From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone with access to genkernel repository? Or should genkernel be p.masked on amd64 profiles?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 17:33:01
1 On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > As nice at it sounds to just DROP these configs, that option is not really
3 > feasible considering the way we currently use genkernel in our handbook.
4 > Relying on the kernel's own defconfig, "genkernel all" will NOT produce the
5 > same mostly-usable-on-any-hardware result that we now rely on.
6
7 Considering that the configs are more generically useful than
8 genkernel, having them separately maintained sort-of makes sense.
9 Then genkernel is a kernel build/install/initramfs tool, not a config
10 management tool.
11
12 I'd stick them someplace where any dev can get to them, and separate
13 them from the genkernel functional code base.
14
15 As far as who takes care of them goes - I suggest that this stuff
16 comes out of the devmanual unless somebody steps up to take care of
17 them. Those who take care of them become those who want to keep them
18 around. You can't toss out a tool and ask for it to be a
19 recommendation but point to others that you think need to maintain its
20 configuration.
21
22 Rich