From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: rich0@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone with access to genkernel repository? Or should genkernel be p.masked on amd64 profiles?
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 18:00:05
1 On Fri, 30 May 2014 13:32:54 -0400
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Ben Kohler <bkohler@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > As nice at it sounds to just DROP these configs, that option is not
6 > > really feasible considering the way we currently use genkernel in
7 > > our handbook. Relying on the kernel's own defconfig, "genkernel
8 > > all" will NOT produce the same mostly-usable-on-any-hardware result
9 > > that we now rely on.
10 >
11 > Considering that the configs are more generically useful than
12 > genkernel, having them separately maintained sort-of makes sense.
13 > Then genkernel is a kernel build/install/initramfs tool, not a config
14 > management tool.
15
16 It has always been a kernel build/install/initramfs tool; some people
17 misinterpret it for being a "default big working config" tool, without
18 seeing what else it can do. See /etc/genkernel.conf and `man genkernel`.
19
20 > I'd stick them someplace where any dev can get to them, and separate
21 > them from the genkernel functional code base.
22
23 Good idea, we really could use some kind of kernel seeds in the Portage
24 tree; if someone is willing to maintain them, knowing that Pappy has
25 maintained them for years and spoke about it it seems like hard work.
26
27 Pappy has discontinued and sold his kernel seeds; a Funtoo developer
28 bought it, but we're yet to see the first release of this continuation.
29
30 > As far as who takes care of them goes - I suggest that this stuff
31 > comes out of the devmanual unless somebody steps up to take care of
32 > them. Those who take care of them become those who want to keep them
33 > around. You can't toss out a tool and ask for it to be a
34 > recommendation but point to others that you think need to maintain its
35 > configuration.
36
37 s/devmanual/Gentoo Installation Handbook/ to avoid confusion. Other
38 than that; I agree with this as Genkernel works perfectly itself and
39 its just a small problem in the config that could be solved in various
40 ways, like fixing/forking/splitting/removing the config that come along.
43 With kind regards,
44
45 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
46 Gentoo Developer
47
48 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
49 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
50 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D