From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed solution to arches/stable problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:24:40
1 Hi Ciaran,
2
3 Ciaran McCreesh wrote: [Tue Jun 22 2004, 01:52:36PM EDT]
4 > I think it won't work, because there are already stacks of packages
5 > in the tree where the keywording order is arbitrary.
6
7 I agree, there are many with an arbitrary order. Hopefully--and
8 probably--not the packages that start these kinds of arguments. I
9 suspect most of those presently start with the package maintainer's
10 arch, purely because they have been actively maintained instead of
11 willy-nilly.
12
13 Here are changes to ekeyword that I would consider *necessary* to make
14 this work without it being a burden:
15
16 1. Warn when jumping ahead of maintainer's arch. This should happen
17 at repoman time as well.
18
19 2. Automatically recognize a maintainer:
20
21 (a) check metadata.xml for a match against either
22 ECHANGELOG_USER or current username.
23
24 (b) read herd from metadata.xml and cross-reference against
25 herds.xml to determine if current user is part of the team
26 maintaining this herd.
27
28 If maintainer is recognized, then move stable keyword to front of
29 KEYWORDS. Of course, ekeyword should inform when it does this!
30
31 3. Automatically recognize when non-maintainer appears to be marking
32 first keyword in list stable, and warn about it.
33
34 > Why not put a <maintainernotes> in metadata.xml instead? Much cleaner,
35 > provides much more information,
36
37 The problem I have with that approach is the weight of it. All the
38 metadata.xml files would need that addition. It's similar to doing a
39 "stable" keyword (my earlier suggestion, I admit) or using a special
40 marker on a keyword. It would take a lot of time to implement
41 throughout the tree, whereas the solution I'm suggesting would be more
42 immediately available (though I agree with you that there are plenty
43 of ebuilds in the tree with an arbitrary order).
44
45 > doesn't imply meaning in an existing
46 > field which does not currently provide any information.
47
48 Actually, that isn't true. It was established previously that the
49 order of keywords would indicate the order in which they were added to
50 an ebuild. This was agreed upon about a year ago (I recall that
51 drobbins took part in the discussion). Ekeyword adheres to that
52 established precedent, which means that presently there should be a
53 lot of ebuilds that contain the maintainer's arch first in the list.
54
55 Regards,
56 Aron
59 Aron Griffis