From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prelinking
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:08:11
1 On Fri, 2002-01-11 at 11:52, Sebastian Werner wrote:
2 > Hey
3 >
4 > Sometimes ago there was a mail in this list, which tell us the way away
5 > from objprelink to full system prelink. Do you mean the prelink-concept
6 > by Jakub Jelinek? It look at his ftp-directory...
7
8 I believe that this can be enabled by turning the "-z combreloc" option
9 to "ld" on by default (probably by using a patch). However, this breaks
10 binary compatibility with existing packages, which makes upgrading to
11 this new functionality quite a challenge. It may be something that must
12 be enabled (via a USE var) at bootstrap-time only.
13
14 >From the "ld" man page:
15
16 "combreloc" combines multiple reloc sections and sorts them to make
17 dynamic symbol lookup caching possible.
18
19 Note:
20
21 This feature may need additional glue in the dynamic linker. I'm not
22 sure if the support is there yet. You can probably do a google search
23 for "combreloc" and get more information.
24
25 Best Regards,
28 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
29 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org