From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Clarify the "as-is" license?
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 23:40:13
1 On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
3 >> If we start to measure the software freedom of the code inside the
4 >> package, then maybe LICENSE is the wrong variable to express this.
5 >
6 > I'm aware that we can't distinguish the two cases. Should we have a
7 > "binary-only" license to catch it?
8
9 The license isn't binary-only. The license is BSD. It just happens
10 that the thing they're licensing is the binary and not the source.
11
12 Does it really matter? Before we start overloading the LICENSE flag
13 to represent something other than the license we should probably have
14 a problem to actually fix.
15
16 As far as freedom of code goes, arguably the code is perfectly free -
17 it just isn't open source. You could legally decompile, modify,
18 recompile, and redistribute it and your assembly language sources as
19 much as you like.
20
21 Rich