From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Clarify the "as-is" license?
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 21:23:05
1 >>>>> On Sat, 29 Sep 2012, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2
3 > I have one question: The license can be GPL-compatible but the
4 > software itself non-free. So binary-only packages distributed under
5 > e.g. BSD license should remain BSD or not?
6
7 Yes, if it's BSD licensed then it should have LICENSE="BSD".
8
9 > If we start to measure the software freedom of the code inside the
10 > package, then maybe LICENSE is the wrong variable to express this.
11
12 I'm aware that we can't distinguish the two cases. Should we have a
13 "binary-only" license to catch it?
14
15 Ulrich