From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for a new project: gentoo-libs
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2018 18:36:02
1 On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 2:12 PM Richard Yao <ryao@g.o> wrote:
4 > Prestige is good. We have prestige from our (myself and a few others) work in upstream ZFS and Gentoo is well respected there.
5
6 Sure, but ZFS on Linux isn't a Gentoo project.
7
8 I'm not saying people who are Gentoo devs can't also do other things.
9 Lots of Gentoo devs are involved in lots of stuff that gets a fair bit
10 of respect. OpenRC is a big example of this. From time to time I bump
11 into signs of Gentoo on upstream projects (just today that included
12 SoapySDRPlay).
13
14 Also, this gives us an opportunity to set an example, in helping to
15 ensure the upstream project is maintained in a distro-friendly manner
16 where Gentoo is a first class citizen.
17
18 I'm not saying that stuff like this should be banned from infra. It
19 just seems like an unnecessary constraint all-around. It means that
20 the project has to generally follow Gentoo policies/etc, and is
21 limited to the tools we provide. Just something to think about...
25 Rich