From: Matthew Summers <quantumsummers@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package graveyard
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 19:58:00
1 On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Alex Alexander <wired@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 19:45, Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I'm forking from a thread on gentoo-project:
6 >>
7 >> On 17:26 Wed 17 Aug 2011, Markos Chandras wrote:
8 >>> Personally, I want to shrink portage. There is no way for 250 listed
9 >>> developers ( I would be glad if 100 of us were really active ) to
10 >>> maintain thousands of ebuilds.
11 >> [...]
12 >>> We need to support only the packages that we can *really* support and
13 >>> lets hope that more people will join in when they see their packages
14 >>> going away.
15 >>
16 >> I like the idea of shrinking portage, but here's a scenario I'd like to
17 >> avoid:
18 >>
19 >> 1) package A is unmainted, but has a sophistacted ebuild that evolved
20 >>  over some time.
21 >>
22 >> 2) A has an open bug that nobody cares to fix, treecleaners come around
23 >> and remove A.
24 >>
25 >> 3) New dev X joines Gentoo and cares for A and startes to rewrite the
26 >> ebuild from scratch.
27 >>
28 >> Is there a way for X to easily query the portage history and dig up the
29 >> ebuild that was there at some point.  She could then use the old ebuild
30 >> for their new version, but without efficient search she would probably
31 >> start from scratch.  Some packages are treecleaned in the state 'working
32 >> but with a single bug (and nobody cares)', it would be good if that
33 >> state is somehow retained after the removal.  Then you can get a fully
34 >> working package while fixing only one bug.
35 >>
36 >> Searching through mailing list archives with automatted removal mails
37 >> would be my hack, what would be yours?
38 >>
39 >> Cheers,
40 >> Thomas
41 >
42 > We could try removing all keywords and masking ebuilds that are
43 > abandoned with bugs but upstream is still active, instead of removing
44 > them completely. That way the ebuild will be there when/if someone
45 > else decides to take care of the package and it will even show in
46 > tools like eix.
47 >
48 > --
49 > Alex Alexander | wired
50 > + Gentoo Linux Developer
51 > ++ www.linuxized.com
55 +1 on this. It saves the ebuild for posterity AND prevents users
56 hitting nasty bits. This seems to me to beg for a proper well-defined
57 policy, in any case.
60 Matthew W. Summers
61 Gentoo Foundation Inc.