From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo-dev vs lkml?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:21:09
1 On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 14:44 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
2 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
3 > >
4 > >>>>
5 > >>> As I recall, flameeyes made the statement to kloeri, and kloeri called
6 > >>> it blackmail. Whatever you call it, in business, issuing such an
7 > >>> ultimatum is one of the quickest ways to become unemployed.
8 > >>>
9 > >> So you'd rather let one of the best employees go rather than chastise a
10 > >> worker who is leaving soon? Thats just cutting off your nose to spite
11 > >> your face.
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >
15 > > You misunderstand. The analogy is that I walk into my boss's office and
16 > > say "Fire Joe or I'm gone", in which case I can expect to be gone one
17 > > way or the other.
18 > Joe was leaving anyway. Ask Joe to leave soon which saves every single
19 > problem. Joe just does what he was going to do, you get what you want
20 > and the company keeps on running smoothly. The company then has the
21 > choice of making it known to you that it will not be tolerated in the
22 > future.
25 Whether or not Joe is leaving or not is irrelevant to how to treat my
26 conduct. Apparently in this case I did not know Joe was leaving, and it
27 is never (well, hardly ever) acceptable to make such demands. "Joe goes
28 or I go" says something about me, not about Joe. And what it says (if
29 nothing else) is that I am a problem employee who considers himself to
30 be indispensable.
31
32 We (or anyone else) just can't "ask Joe to leave soon" because someone
33 doesn't like him. In my example, I am the problem, not Joe --- I set it
34 up that way.
35
36 Regards,
37 --
38 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
39 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)