From: George Prowse <cokehabit@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo-dev vs lkml?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:47:34
1 Ferris McCormick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 00:35 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
3 >
4 >> Ferris McCormick wrote:
5 >>
7 >>> Hash: SHA1
8 >>>
9 >>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:30:32 -0500
10 >>> Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o> wrote:
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>>
14 >>>> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
15 >>>> <snip>
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>>>>> Personally I understand why flameeyes took that to bugzilla; how else
19 >>>>>> could he say he'd gone thru the appropriate channels? Devrel (a
20 >>>>>> group, not an individual) weren't set up to respond quickly as others
21 >>>>>> have informed us all.
22 >>>>>>
23 >>>>>>
24 >>>>> Case in point: you need to distinguish between flameeyes leaving (again)
25 >>>>> as a publicity stunt because his attempt to blackmail devrel failed and
26 >>>>> flameeyes' stated reason for leaving...
27 >>>>>
28 >>>>>
29 >>>>>
30 >>>> <snip>
31 >>>>
32 >>>> It was an ultimatum. He goes or I go, it was not blackmail. FFS, can
33 >>>> we please stop calling it blackmail?
34 >>>>
35 >>>>
36 >>> As I recall, flameeyes made the statement to kloeri, and kloeri called
37 >>> it blackmail. Whatever you call it, in business, issuing such an
38 >>> ultimatum is one of the quickest ways to become unemployed.
39 >>>
40 >> So you'd rather let one of the best employees go rather than chastise a
41 >> worker who is leaving soon? Thats just cutting off your nose to spite
42 >> your face.
46 > You misunderstand. The analogy is that I walk into my boss's office and
47 > say "Fire Joe or I'm gone", in which case I can expect to be gone one
48 > way or the other.
49 Joe was leaving anyway. Ask Joe to leave soon which saves every single
50 problem. Joe just does what he was going to do, you get what you want
51 and the company keeps on running smoothly. The company then has the
52 choice of making it known to you that it will not be tolerated in the
53 future.
54
55 Having spent 5 years as a manager of a Health club and having a
56 qualification in Sport and Recreational Management means I know what I
57 am talking about. It is far easier and better to reprimand one of the
58 people when the other is no longer there, it stops either of them
59 thinking that "they won". Both lose - one leaves by his own accord and
60 the other is reprimanded so they are both equal and that stops either of
61 them thinking that they have been treated differently which is key to a
62 situation like this.
63 --
64 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list