From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: gentoo-dev vs lkml?
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:05:58
1 On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 00:35 +0000, George Prowse wrote:
2 > Ferris McCormick wrote:
4 > > Hash: SHA1
5 > >
6 > > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:30:32 -0500
7 > > Steev Klimaszewski <steev@g.o> wrote:
10 > >> Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
11 > >> <snip>
12 > >>
13 > >>>> Personally I understand why flameeyes took that to bugzilla; how else
14 > >>>> could he say he'd gone thru the appropriate channels? Devrel (a
15 > >>>> group, not an individual) weren't set up to respond quickly as others
16 > >>>> have informed us all.
17 > >>>>
18 > >>> Case in point: you need to distinguish between flameeyes leaving (again)
19 > >>> as a publicity stunt because his attempt to blackmail devrel failed and
20 > >>> flameeyes' stated reason for leaving...
21 > >>>
22 > >>>
23 > >> <snip>
24 > >>
25 > >> It was an ultimatum. He goes or I go, it was not blackmail. FFS, can
26 > >> we please stop calling it blackmail?
27 > >>
28 > >
29 > > As I recall, flameeyes made the statement to kloeri, and kloeri called
30 > > it blackmail. Whatever you call it, in business, issuing such an
31 > > ultimatum is one of the quickest ways to become unemployed.
32 > So you'd rather let one of the best employees go rather than chastise a
33 > worker who is leaving soon? Thats just cutting off your nose to spite
34 > your face.
37 You misunderstand. The analogy is that I walk into my boss's office and
38 say "Fire Joe or I'm gone", in which case I can expect to be gone one
39 way or the other.
40
41 > It's good to see it has only taken 3 or is it 4 or 5 devs to leave
42 > before anyone thinks about doing something.
43 >
44 > George
45 --
46 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
47 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)