From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Possible solution: email subdomain
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:44:14
1 Marius Mauch posted <20051123002605.174c3fc8@××××××××××××××××××.net>,
2 excerpted below, on Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:26:05 +0100:
3
4 > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:19:17 +0100
5 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Why not just @at.gentoo.org
8 >> Makes clear what it is. Arch testers are not staff. Not that we have any
9 >> staff.
10 >
11 > Can't we just let the whole subdomain stuff die and be done with it? If
12 > not, I'd like to propose we make a vote amongst all current devs with the
14 > - give ATs a @g.o email
15 > - give them a subdomain
16 > - give them no mail
17 > - don't care
18 > Just to get some numbers how many people actually want this subdomain
19 > crap. I don't think there are many.
20
21 There's an idea Jeroen Roovers posted (message
22 <20051120020737.1dc2ee42@××××××××.lan> ) that would, AFAIK, solve the
23 problem for infra, while still giving AT/HTs a distinctive address.
24 Unfortunately, noone seemed to pickup on it besides me. (No other
25 comments to the subthread, thus I'm changing the title this time around,
26 hoping to get a bit better response.)
27
28 Here's the proposal again. If there's an issue with it, shoot it down,
29 but from here, it certainly seems to fit the bill. Again, I'd /love/ to
30 say I was the one that came up with it, but I wasn't. =8^)
31
32 * give [AH]Ts a <name>.tester@g.o address.
33
34 - It's not a subdomain, so the existing infrastructure should have no
35 problems with it.
36
37 - testername.tester@g.o remains distinctive enough it should
38 alleviate any doubts or confusion over status.
39
40 - the biggest possible objection I can see is that the root,
41 tester@g.o, is already in use. Thus, in particular, I'd like to
42 see his reaction to this proposal. We could, of course, take the same
43 idea and change the root, if necessary. My previous suggestion, intern,
44 would work, or assistant, or something else. Tester is of course short
45 and concise, but intern or assistant would be more generic, allowing the
46 possiblity of other non-tester additions, in the future, with the same
47 root.
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
53 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list