From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Only you can prevent broken portage trees
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:38:33
1 On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 18:46:25 -0500 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | I'm actually going to agree with jakub here. I wouldn't even say
4 | they need to fix the bug; but just acknowledge that they even read it
5 | or paid attention or "hey we are working on it" or "hey we don't give
6 | a flying rats ass."
7 |
8 | There is a minimal level of communication that is required between
9 | groups, otherwise nothing gets done and you *will* get people
10 | breaking your arch tree or pulling your keywords, because if you
11 | having commented on the bug ever then most sane people would probably
12 | assume you don't care.
13
14 The thing is, at any given time there are probably a hundred or more
15 bugs assigned to arch teams with people whining for attention. At least
16 two thirds of those whines are unhelpful and serve no purpose.
17 Filtering out the legitimate calls for attention would take even more
18 time away from fixing the things.
19
20 So, unless you can recruit somebody *good* to let the arch teams know
21 which bugs should be prioritised, the only thing that increasing
22 communication would do is decrease the number of bugs that get fixed.
25 Ciaran McCreesh
26 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
27 Web : http://ciaranm.org/
28 as-needed is broken : http://ciaranm.org/show_post.pl?post_id=13