From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add bc back to the stage3
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 13:30:46
1 On 17/09/2014 14:49, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
2 > On 2014-09-17 14:20, vivo75@×××××.com wrote:
3 >> Il 17/09/2014 14:09, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto ha scritto:
4 >>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, Luca Barbato wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> The bc utility is part of the posix tools and it might be used to build
7 >>>> linux among the other stuff.
8 >>>
9 >>> Luca,
10 >>>
11 >>> bc is not in the system set and is a dependency of the kernel or any
12 >>> other package that needs it, so why do we need to include a package
13 >>> that takes ~20 seconds to build?
14 >>
15 >> Most people don't use the ebuild for the kernel
16 >
17 > That's a rather outrageous and difficult to substantiate claim. Given
18 > what I've seen in the forums and on IRC, it would appear the reverse
19 > is true; most people use the ebuild for the kernel.
20 >
21 > I wouldn't consider people who deviate from the supported methods as
22 > our concern. If you're smart enough to do that and want to make your
23 > own path, you're smart enough to emerge bc.
27 Agreed. I've been on -user for 10+ years and only a very few fetch their
28 kernels directly from upstream. The vast majority of users who have
29 described how they do it simply emerge one of the source packages just
30 like the handbook says to do.
31
32 There's an even split between genkernel users and those who make
33 menuconfig (100% unscientific survey taken from my brain and nowhere else)
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com