From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add bc back to the stage3
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 14:13:42
1 On 17/09/14 16:29, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 17/09/2014 14:49, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
3 >> On 2014-09-17 14:20, vivo75@×××××.com wrote:
4 >>> Il 17/09/2014 14:09, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto ha scritto:
5 >>>> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, Luca Barbato wrote:
6 >>>>
7 >>>>> The bc utility is part of the posix tools and it might be used to build
8 >>>>> linux among the other stuff.
9 >>>> Luca,
10 >>>>
11 >>>> bc is not in the system set and is a dependency of the kernel or any
12 >>>> other package that needs it, so why do we need to include a package
13 >>>> that takes ~20 seconds to build?
14 >>> Most people don't use the ebuild for the kernel
15 >> That's a rather outrageous and difficult to substantiate claim. Given
16 >> what I've seen in the forums and on IRC, it would appear the reverse
17 >> is true; most people use the ebuild for the kernel.
18 >>
19 >> I wouldn't consider people who deviate from the supported methods as
20 >> our concern. If you're smart enough to do that and want to make your
21 >> own path, you're smart enough to emerge bc.
24 > Agreed. I've been on -user for 10+ years and only a very few fetch their
25 > kernels directly from upstream. The vast majority of users who have
26 > described how they do it simply emerge one of the source packages just
27 > like the handbook says to do.
28 >
29 > There's an even split between genkernel users and those who make
30 > menuconfig (100% unscientific survey taken from my brain and nowhere else)
35 I've never used gentoo-sources in my life, and always fetched sources by
36 hand from kernel.org,
37 but, at the same time, I find it's 100% my own responsibility to cover
38 any fallout from that,
39 including manually emerging required dependencies.
40
41 - Samuli