From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 19:57:39
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 13:49:40 -0400 Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Now, since I work on these arches just to help, i.e. I don't have any business
7 > > and I do non have any installation of those arches and the work I'm doing is
8 > > not appreciated at all I decided to stop for now.
9 >
10 > I wouldn't say that your work is unappreciated. However, when those
11 > are called "unmaintained" arches it reflects the fact that very few
12 > are contributing to them. The nature of a linux distro is that one
13 > person could be working 24x7 with bleeding fingers and it would be
14 > like sticking a finger in a dike. It takes more than one contributor
15 > (even a serious one) to make something like this viable.
16 >
17 > > I will take a break also from amd64 and x86...let's see how things will
18 > > change.
19 >
20 > I'm not sure I really see the connection but you're of course welcome
21 > to work on whatever you want to. In the case of amd64 we already
22 > encourage individual package maintainers to stabilize their own
23 > packages, and I think this is much more sustainable than having an
24 > arch team do it.
25
26 Huh? Have our rules changed? As per devmanual[1] and GLEP 40[2]
27 stabilization must be carried out by arch teams, unless a special
28 arrangement is done between a developer and a team.
29
30 [1] https://devmanual.gentoo.org/keywording/index.html
31 [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:40
32