From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] taking a break from arches stabilization
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 17:49:48
1 On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Agostino Sarubbo <ago@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Now, since I work on these arches just to help, i.e. I don't have any business
4 > and I do non have any installation of those arches and the work I'm doing is
5 > not appreciated at all I decided to stop for now.
6
7 I wouldn't say that your work is unappreciated. However, when those
8 are called "unmaintained" arches it reflects the fact that very few
9 are contributing to them. The nature of a linux distro is that one
10 person could be working 24x7 with bleeding fingers and it would be
11 like sticking a finger in a dike. It takes more than one contributor
12 (even a serious one) to make something like this viable.
13
14 > I will take a break also from amd64 and x86...let's see how things will
15 > change.
16
17 I'm not sure I really see the connection but you're of course welcome
18 to work on whatever you want to. In the case of amd64 we already
19 encourage individual package maintainers to stabilize their own
20 packages, and I think this is much more sustainable than having an
21 arch team do it. Back when amd64 was exotic and a lot of packages
22 needed patching to work having a focused arch team to handle this made
23 a lot of sense - they owned the hardware and also were accustomed to
24 spotting type errors and so on. These days upstream just works on
25 amd64 and everybody is using it.
26
27 I'm not diminishing your contributions in any way (which have always
28 been tremendous). I'm just saying that a model that depends less on
29 heroics would benefit everybody.
32 Rich