From: "Brian D. Harring" <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Hold on portage feature requests
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 17:41:03
1 On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 09:22:56AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 >
4 > | The reason behind this is that at approximately two thirds of bugs
5 > received
6 > | are feature requests and they are drowning at the real bugs. More
7 > importantly,
8 > | the critical bugs are becoming very hard to keep track of. This, at a time
9 > | when we are focusing on fixing major and critical bugs only so as to
10 > get the
11 > | next version completed quicker.
12 >
13 > Are you having a tough time filtering out enhancements in your queries
14 > or something? I don't understand how feature requests could possibly
15 > interfere with anything besides other enhancements.
16
17 Well... we have over 350 bugs open (roughly). How do
18 continual "we want xyz implemented" screw with things? Dupes up the
19 wing wang, lot of continual requests for the same thing, etc, lot of
20 old bugs that need attention but get drowned out by new bugs (or new
21 bugs that flat out miss old bugs due to their age).
22
23 Basically, this is a bit along the lines of trying to keep things
24 easily filterable so that people who want to work on portage can
25 quickly see what relevant (stable) bugs exist, and can dig up the
26 feature requests (fricking multitude of them).
27
28 The feature requests aren't being ignored, the issue comes down to
29 what I stated in an earlier email on this ml; with the current code,
30 if it were easy to pull it off, we would do so without hesitation
31 already- most of the features *can* be pulled off without too much
32 hackery, but it requires (long needed) changes to portage innards.
33
34 Two main thrusts of work at this point, stable bug squashing, and
35 rewriting sizable chunks of the underlying portagelib code so that the
36 feature requests (sync per repo, seperated caches per repo, use deps,
37 slot deps, EAPI changes, glep33, glep37 (potentially), better binpkg
38 handling, drop md5/mtime as default for unmerge checks and use
39 refcounts, framework for remote, etc) are doable.
40
41 Essentially it's squashing old noise on the bugs till we can actually
42 address it. Like I said above, two main thrusts of work are stable,
43 and mangling the codebase so that we can actually pull this stuff off,
44 and with the limited # of people hacking on portage, more time devoted
45 to that the better.
46
47 So... yeah. not dodging bugs, just need a way to do something about
48 massive # of older bugs and noise on the bugs ml. Man power issues
49 somewhat, but mainly trying to focus on taking care of what needs to
50 be taken care of right now. Patches make a world of difference, since
51 it A) involves people in the code, B) allows us to work on what needs
52 to be addressed *now*, without digging about for a feature that in the
53 grand scheme, doesn't matter too much. Clarifiaction of B, which
54 matters most in the long run, a UI change, or use deps? Etc.
55
56 pardon the long winded explanation... It's something that has been
57 toyed with for a while, and so far we (portage devs) seem to think
58 it's a good way to at least get a handle on the current mess.
59 ~harring