From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Living in a bubble [gentoo-proctor] Warning^2
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:33:14
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote: [Tue Jun 05 2007, 05:00:28PM CDT]
2 > As a member of the Council, I find it personally offensive that the
3 > Proctors have taken this action on what wasn't even a "problem" thread.
4 > I'm sick of this. I call for the immediate disbanding of the Proctors.
5 >
6 > As much as I dislike many of the posts from geoman/ciaranm, they really
7 > had not done anything worthy of being banned. I ask that this ban is
8 > undone *immediately* and that the Proctors have their powers revoked.
9
10 *Sigh* I, too, was quite surprised to see people banned for what
11 appeared to be reasonable behavior (in this case). That said, I wish
12 you'd started w/ a more temperate response, instead of going all nuclear
13 on the proctors. It's likely to create some hard feelings, and that
14 just makes things harder to fix.
15
16 So, how about using this incident as an opportunity for a calm
17 discussion about the mandate and role of the proctors? The proctors
18 clearly felt that they should shut down this thread _before_ things
19 got out of hand. Perhaps the goal was laudable, but the methods were
20 not? (As an aside, I didn't realize that Roy's e-mail was supposed to
21 be a proctor directive.) Or are people really looking for the proctors
22 to get involved only when behavior is particularly egregious? Is there
23 a way to fix the current system, or should it be chucked entirely, as
24 has been suggested?
25
26 Well reasoned thoughts and opinions welcome.
27
28 -g2boojum-
29 --
30 Grant Goodyear
31 Gentoo Developer
32 g2boojum@g.o
33 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
34 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76