From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Codec project
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 18:25:30
1 Hi,
2
3 Let's split this from [1] as I suppose having it in middle of high-noise
4 'up for grabs' might prevent some interested people from seeing it.
5
6 The general purpose of codec project [2] is to maintain core libraries
7 for various multimedia format encoder/decoder libraries. It's like
8 gfx+sound+video except only for core packages and not every possible
9 single viewer, player, editor, frontend... I believe that this specific
10 focus make more sense than the wider projects, i.e. it is more likely
11 than N people will actually co-maintain libraries used by many tools vs
12 N people co-maintain 20 alternative sound players (when they are
13 unlikely to use more than one at a time).
14
15 The main questions are:
16
17 1. Should the project be focused on reference/most common
18 implementations, or maybe more of them? Say, giflib vs libnsgif.
19 I think the latter library is specific to a few programs right now but
20 if it gets more popular, it would fit.
21
22 2. How many kinds of media should the project accept? Audio, graphics,
23 video seem pretty obvious. Containers too. libass makes sense as it is
24 specifically for video subtitles. Anything else?
25
26 3. What about libraries implementing media-specific streaming protocols?
27 E.g. libshout, live... I suppose the ones specific to voip would fall
28 into voip project's domain instead.
31 [1] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/79073ab9c7cebd79fc12e897e110bc3c
32 [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Codec_project
35 Best regards,