From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal: Social Contract change & What is "Gentoo" ?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:33:23
1 On Wednesday 01 September 2004 10:34, Duncan wrote:
2 > As for the draft.. the wording of the "Gentoo" definition looks a bit
3 > shaky to me. It could be taken to lay claim to /all/ the "intellectual
4 > property" produced by Gentoo developers in the two given areas. I'm
5 > sure many are familiar with existing corporate practice to this effect.
6 > Thus, an additional clause "as they may choose to contribute it to the
7 > Gentoo and larger open source community" might be in order.
8 >
9 > Gentoo is the collection of:
10 >
11 > * free knowledge such as documentation and metadata about
12 > concepts/domains relevant to operating systems and their components,
13 > created by Gentoo developers "as they may choose to contribute it to
14 > the Gentoo and larger open source community"
15 >
16 > * free software developed by Gentoo Developers "as they may choose to
17 > contribute that too, to the Gentoo and larger open source
18 > community"
19 >
20 > ... or something to that effect, anyway... the idea being that they may
21 > have OTHER projects they are involved with, particularly as the
22 > developers are volunteers and would be /expected/ to have other jobs
23 > and commitments, and Gentoo isn't going to demand that all THAT work
24 > ALSO be made available to Gentoo.
25
26 I agree with you that the wording is not good. I don't think there was
27 ever the intention to be that "broad". Also this is not supposed to be a
28 legal document, more a guideline that clarifies what we see as gentoo,
29 and what does not belong in gentoo anymore.
30
31 Paul
34 Paul de Vrieze
35 Gentoo Developer