From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Proposal: Social Contract change & What is "Gentoo" ?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:34:21
1 Sven Vermeulen posted <20040901073242.GA8228@g.o>, excerpted below,
2 on Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:32:42 +0200:
3
4 > You are able to find the draft at
5 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/contract.html. Comments are, as usual,
6 > appreciated. Please give it a good read, it's not a lenghty document but
7 > rather important one.
8
9 Important, indeed. The reason I'm here and not elsewhere is because of
10 the social contract and philosophy. I'd read the usual stuff in LWN and
11 the various other press about build-from-source and all that, but when I
12 started looking seriously at Gentoo, the Gentoo approach to its
13 relationship with the community and whether and under what licenses it
14 released its code, were the FIRST things I actually checked out. I cannot
15 and will not support proprietary or semi-proprietary work, or I wouldn't
16 have troubled myself jumping from MS after a decade there when I saw the
17 light, and I would have looked elsewhere or stayed with Mandrake if I
18 wasn't fully comfortable with Gentoo.
19
20 FWIW, when I mentioned my interest in one of the newsgroups I frequent,
21 someone mentioned the fork. I looked it up, and found it highly ironic
22 all the accusations leveled at Gentoo, when the original choice of the GPL
23 license was what made the fork possible in the first place, and taking
24 Gentoo proprietary as was alleged to be part of the secret plan, extremely
25 problematic if not impossible altogether. The contrast between those
26 accusations and reality only emphasized the value of Gentoo and its chosen
27 philosophy.
28
29 As for the draft.. the wording of the "Gentoo" definition looks a bit
30 shaky to me. It could be taken to lay claim to /all/ the "intellectual
31 property" produced by Gentoo developers in the two given areas. I'm sure
32 many are familiar with existing corporate practice to this effect. Thus,
33 an additional clause "as they may choose to contribute it to the Gentoo
34 and larger open source community" might be in order.
35
36 Gentoo is the collection of:
37
38 * free knowledge such as documentation and metadata about concepts/domains
39 relevant to operating systems and their components, created by Gentoo
40 developers "as they may choose to contribute it to the Gentoo and
41 larger open source community"
42
43 * free software developed by Gentoo Developers "as they may choose to
44 contribute that too, to the Gentoo and larger open source
45 community"
46
47 ... or something to that effect, anyway... the idea being that they may
48 have OTHER projects they are involved with, particularly as the
49 developers are volunteers and would be /expected/ to have other jobs and
50 commitments, and Gentoo isn't going to demand that all THAT work ALSO be
51 made available to Gentoo.
55 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
56 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
57 Benjamin Franklin
62 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list