From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: consistent Gentoo tool names
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:00:33
1 On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 14:41, Jason Rhinelander wrote:
2 > Just thought I'd pipe in here to mention that I've written a wrapper (in
3 > bash) which seems to solve the problems in this thread, and more.
4
5 Like I was just saying to you, most Gentoo tools are either already
6 implemented in Python or will be moved to it, so it might be a good
7 idea.
8
9 > This approach seems more elegant than renaming all the tools, and it
10 > means users have a _single_ location to look for update/configuration
11 > scripts. It still allows tab completion, as you can do:
13 > of tools) and have a complete list of all available utilities, and
14 > doesn't depend on file naming to group utilities together.
15
16 Speaking of single location, Daniel just suggested putting them all in
17 /usr/gentoo/bin as well. We could either symlink into /usr/bin or
18 provide an env.d file.
19
20 > Additionally, I think beginning linux users aren't, at least initially,
21 > used to tab completion, and being able to run:
22 >
23 > some_command --details
24 >
25 > to get a list of all supported utilities *including what they do*, is
26 > extremely useful. Running gconfig-<tab><tab> to get a list of utilities
27 > is useful, but I don't have any idea what "gconfig-cc" or "gconfig-gcc"
28 > or "gupdate-python" _does_. This script gives you that capability.
29
30 Yeah, it's easier than running `utility --help` for each utility and
31 would be a nice addition.
32
33 However, the two are not incompatible. Why hold back one improvement
34 because another one is also possible?
35
36 Thanks,
37 Donnie
38 --