From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (FS) Attributes for Ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 07:53:30
1 A nice idea it is, however this will basically make portage *require* to have
2 the tree reside on a filesystem that supports ACL's (I suppose you meant this
3 by fs attributes? Otherwise please be more specific). Even forcing allocation
4 of a separate partition to keep portage tree in some cases. This makes it,
5 um, problematic to say the least..
6
7 The following point that you mention might offset the "downside":
8 > d. all this benefits without having to force a database as a dependancy
9 > on Gentoo users.
10 however I am not so sure. ACL's provide one with the means to store this
11 "meta" information, however we also need a processing capability. Thus I am
12 not sure that the requirement for db dependency is really eliminated - either
13 portage will depend on db processing engine or it will reimplement the wheel
14 once again :).
17 > Also note that I didn't propose or request this, I was just interested
18 > in some feedback and discussion if/why this is a good/bad approach in
19 > handling this category issue (and others, like if the name of a package
20 > changes you maybe could keep the old name as an attributes). I just
21 > think that Portage is hell of a package managment system and think
22 > discussion about how to further improve it (even my suggestion
23 > may not even be an improvement, but let the people who know
24 > Portage much better than I do clarify this) couldn't hurt.
25 Yup, its a nice try nontheless, and might be worth it further down the
26 timeline, when say ACL's get universally accepted. However right now I am
27 afraid this might be a showstopper :(
28 (we need to think about the whole varietty of platforms we already support or
29 plan supporting).
30 Well, this is just my understanding of the situation anyway and if anybody
31 thinks otherwise (like the requirement isn't that gross and can be tolerated
32 for the most part...) you are certainly welcome to contribute to discussion..
33
34 George
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list