From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:28:21
1 On Saturday 18 September 2004 21:02, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
2 > Perhaps instead of using completely independent packages for the software
3 > applications, a set of "pseudo-packages" could be created to alleviate the
4 > extra configuration requirements?
5 I don't understand what you mean by pseudo-packages, unless it's the
6 DO_NOT_COMPILE thing below. Please elaborate.
9 > I've previously used the DO_NOT_COMPILE option for the KDE ebuilds and
10 > successfully screened out many of the unwanted packages.
11 Which doesn't scale, because portage can't manage those dependencies. You
12 can't depend on just one piece of kdebase (eg khtml) this way, and you can't
13 add/remove just one piece without also recompiling all other pieces you want
14 to keep.
15
16 This and similar solutions have been discussed to death before now, see bug
17 #11123.
18
19 > If the
20 > dependencies for any given software application were known (herein lies the
21 > large amount of maintenance),
22 IIRC debian and other distributions already provide separate packages for the
23 individual kde apps, and so presumably have the entire dependency tree mapped
24 out. Besides, missing dependencies as such are relatively easy to catch and,
25 once diagnosed, trivial to fix compared, to other problems.
26
27 > it should then be possible to manipulate that
28 > environment variable to only compile what is necessary for the user.
29 > Granted it would take a fair amount of script-work, however it's an option
30 > to consider.
31 See above.
34 > > And most people do want the whole of kde.
35 >
36 > Unfortunately, I don't fall into the category of "most people" when it
37 > comes to KDE's software; the above comment is a prime example of why I
38 > migrated to Gentoo and Linux as opposed to windows.
39 I mentioned 'most people' simply to point out that we're assigning limited
40 resources to the greatest demand. As Caleb says, with enough maintainers this
41 would be quite doable (provided the config caching portage enhancement
42 alleviated the performance issue).
45 Dan Armak
46 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
47 Matan, Israel
48 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
49 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951