From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 18:04:16
1 On Saturday 18 September 2004 2:16 am, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > A kde configure script takes as much as a minute or more to run. Today when
3 > you emerge all of kde you run ~17 configure scripts, i.e. as much as 20
4 > minutes goes there (of course everything depends on the speed of the
5 > machine). If all kde-base packages are split into separate subpackage
6 > ebuilds, you'll get hundreds of subpackags (200+).
7
8 Perhaps instead of using completely independent packages for the software
9 applications, a set of "pseudo-packages" could be created to alleviate the
10 extra configuration requirements?
11
12 I've previously used the DO_NOT_COMPILE option for the KDE ebuilds and
13 successfully screened out many of the unwanted packages. If the dependencies
14 for any given software application were known (herein lies the large amount
15 of maintenance), it should then be possible to manipulate that environment
16 variable to only compile what is necessary for the user. Granted it would
17 take a fair amount of script-work, however it's an option to consider.
20 > And most people do want the whole of kde.
21
22 Unfortunately, I don't fall into the category of "most people" when it comes
23 to KDE's software; the above comment is a prime example of why I migrated to
24 Gentoo and Linux as opposed to windows.
28 Anthony Gorecki
29 Ectro-Linux Foundation