From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:10:45
1 On Saturday 18 September 2004 11:29 am, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > I don't understand what you mean by pseudo-packages, unless it's the
3 > DO_NOT_COMPILE thing below. Please elaborate.
4
5 I would have used "virtual packages", however I don't believe they provide the
6 functionality that the subsequent example would have required.
9 > Which doesn't scale, because portage can't manage those dependencies. You
10 > can't depend on just one piece of kdebase (eg khtml) this way, and you
11 > can't add/remove just one piece without also recompiling all other pieces
12 > you want to keep.
13
14 It would certainly require a fair amount of new scripting, regardless of how
15 the system was implemented.
16
17 Regarding adding and removing packages, what prevents Portage from compiling
18 only the KMail components (and dependencies) of the kdepim package, and then
19 merging it onto the filesystem? Likewise, they could be removed in a similar
20 fashion. It seems as though the only major difference is that the source
21 files would be stored in a shared archive rather than an independent archive.
24 > This and similar solutions have been discussed to death before now, see bug
25 > #11123.
26
27 I have, though we're still no closer to an actual solution. Bug #11123 was
28 last updated quite a while ago, and I don't believe that twelve replies
29 constitutes a heavily discussed topic. I don't mean to seem abrasive, however
30 this issue needs to be addressed, not deferred.
33 > I mentioned 'most people' simply to point out that we're assigning limited
34 > resources to the greatest demand. As Caleb says, with enough maintainers
35 > this would be quite doable (provided the config caching portage enhancement
36 > alleviated the performance issue).
37
38 I realize that community support only extends as far as it is volunteered, but
39 perhaps instead of simply stating that it would be possible with more
40 contributions and passing off the topic, a more concrete solution can be
41 found?
42
43 At the very least, if the Gentoo community were to agree on the best way to
44 implement the KDE package segregation, regardless of the required volunteer
45 time, it would be a step in the right direction. I would certainly be willing
46 to volunteer in helping to maintain the packages if they could be properly
47 handled by Portage.
48
49 You mentioned "enough" maintainers. Assuming that the current maintainers are
50 already strained with keeping packages up-to-date, approximately how many new
51 volunteers would be needed?
55 Anthony Gorecki
56 Ectro-Linux Foundation