From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 19:45:11
1 On Saturday 18 September 2004 22:09, Anthony Gorecki wrote:
2 > > Which doesn't scale, because portage can't manage those dependencies. You
3 > > can't depend on just one piece of kdebase (eg khtml) this way, and you
4 > > can't add/remove just one piece without also recompiling all other pieces
5 > > you want to keep.
6 >
7 > It would certainly require a fair amount of new scripting, regardless of
8 > how the system was implemented.
9 >
10 > Regarding adding and removing packages, what prevents Portage from
11 > compiling only the KMail components (and dependencies) of the kdepim
12 > package, and then merging it onto the filesystem? Likewise, they could be
13 > removed in a similar fashion. It seems as though the only major difference
14 > is that the source files would be stored in a shared archive rather than an
15 > independent archive.
16 Doesn't that simply kmail etc. are in separate ebuilds? How are your proposed
17 pseudo-packages different (less costly) from regular ebuilds?
20 > > This and similar solutions have been discussed to death before now, see
21 > > bug #11123.
22 >
23 > I have, though we're still no closer to an actual solution. Bug #11123 was
24 > last updated quite a while ago, and I don't believe that twelve replies
25 > constitutes a heavily discussed topic. I don't mean to seem abrasive,
26 > however this issue needs to be addressed, not deferred.
27 I'm sorry if I seemed dismissive. 11123 isn't the sole previous discussion of
28 this issue; it is itself a summary of previous and parallel discussions
29 gentoo-dev etc, which is why it only has 12 replies - it wasn't used as the
30 main discussion forum. It may even be that some rejected solution(s) isn't
31 mentioned in.
32
33 The key point of previous discussions, which is also described in 11123, is
34 the paragraph about the speed of configure i quoted here previously. To me
35 this always was the major stumbling block. Lack of manpower is rather Caleb's
36 problem, so I guess I'll let him comment about it ;-)
37
38 > At the very least, if the Gentoo community were to agree on the best way to
39 > implement the KDE package segregation, regardless of the required volunteer
40 > time, it would be a step in the right direction. I would certainly be
41 > willing to volunteer in helping to maintain the packages if they could be
42 > properly handled by Portage.
43 >
44 > You mentioned "enough" maintainers. Assuming that the current maintainers
45 > are already strained with keeping packages up-to-date, approximately how
46 > many new volunteers would be needed?
47 IMHO the best way, from the maintainers' POV, would be to be able to use
48 perfectly ordinary separate ebuilds for KDE apps. And, this would require
49 something like the config cache to be viable.
50
51 A word about my position here; I -used- to be one of the gentoo-KDE
52 maintainers but left about a year ago (my sig nonwithstanding, since I didn't
53 use it until now) and came back just a few days ago and straight into this
54 discussion ;-)
55
56 Meanwhile Caleb's been the lead (only?) maintainer, so it's all up to him, my
57 opinions are just that - opinions. That said I do want to re-join the KDE
58 maintainers team; it'll probably take me a couple of weeks to get up to
59 speed, right now I'm still struggling with the gcc 3.4 upgrade.
62 Dan Armak
63 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
64 Matan, Israel
65 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
66 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951