From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Segregating KDE?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:14:41
1 On Saturday 18 September 2004 12:45 pm, Dan Armak wrote:
2 > Doesn't that simply kmail etc. are in separate ebuilds? How are your
3 > proposed pseudo-packages different (less costly) from regular ebuilds?
4
5 Please keep in mind that the example below is only intended to serve as such.
6
7 Partially separate, but not quite. What I had in mind is more in line with a
8 piece of functionality similar to that of a symlink: Instead of manually
9 tearing apart the individual KDE distribution packages after every revision,
10 they could be left as-is. When a KMail installation was requested, for
11 example, its dependencies could be calculated against the existing KDE
12 packages and configured using DO_NOT_INSTALL to build only the files that
13 were required for KMail and were not already merged onto the filesystem.
14
15 This would add a certain degree of complexity, in that the system would be
16 working with large collections of software in a closed environment, however
17 it would lessen the amount of maintenance for the package maintainers, who
18 would otherwise need to be continually breaking up software components into
19 dedicated packages. I also suspect that Portage would need to be modified to
20 accommodate that method of operation.
23 > I'm sorry if I seemed dismissive. 11123 isn't the sole previous discussion
24 > of this issue
25
26 I wish I could claim that the developers and users in #kde were only being
27 dismissive, rather than absolute, about their packaging scheme. Individual
28 packages would save me a lot of time and effort in hacking their software to
29 suit my workstation :)
32 > Lack of manpower is rather Caleb's problem
33
34 Thankfully.
37 > IMHO the best way, from the maintainers' POV, would be to be able to use
38 > perfectly ordinary separate ebuilds for KDE apps. And, this would require
39 > something like the config cache to be viable.
40
41 ccache could be quite helpful, regardless of the package that was being built;
42 I agree that it would improve KDE compilation time, especially. What do you
43 mean by "being viable"? I haven't had a chance to experiment with the
44 software, though I thought it was already working reasonably well for most
45 computer systems.
49 Anthony Gorecki
50 Ectro-Linux Foundation