From: Matt Rickard <frogger@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Where to put prerelease vanilla kernels?
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:56:52
2 > > Another option is to create a separate category for these, something
3 > > like pre-vanilla-sources. This has the benefit that people who want
4 > > vanilla will get only vanilla, and not a prerelease -- regardless of
5 > > which profile they are using.
6 >
7 > I don't like this idea (even though I'm in the minority here :). First
8 > of all, when the _pre's are finished and the stable kernel is
9 > released, people which are using pre-vanilla-sources will be stuck at
10 > the latest _pre (or_testing).
11
12 I think the idea here was to also include _rc kernels in this category.
13 Since an _rc generally becomes the stable when it is deemed worthy,
14 people shouldn't really be behind here (except by version number, not
15 content).
16
17 In the case where there are a couple last minute changes from the final
18 _rc to the next stable release, then yes, this could be a problem :\
19 (although I don't know if this actually happens or not).
22 > And when they emerge the vanilla-sources, they'll miss the next _pre
23 > cycle.
24 >
25 > Personally, I would go for package.mask
28 package.mask is what I was really trying to avoid. It's always a pain
29 to have to unmask a package if you want to use it. These kernels are
30 usually quite stable, and I don't think they deserve to be hard masked.
31
32 I'm still open to suggestions on this though...
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list