From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Value of Continuous integration vs Code Review / Pull Requests
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 17:51:01
1 On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 1:44 AM Mathy Vanvoorden <mathy@××××××××××.be> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Sorry I'm a bit late to the party here but was behind on my emails.
6 >
7 > Op wo 27 mei 2020 om 05:25 schreef Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>:
8 >
9 >> The TL;DR is that a crack team of infra-folks[0] have been putting
10 >> together demos of CI services and things like gitlab / gitea / gerrit and
11 >> so on.
14 > I didn't see in the email chain any mention of the Atlassian tools. Can
15 > these be considered? They offer free licenses for open source projects and
16 > I think that most of the requirements are covered by BitBucket
17 > (repo-hosting, repo-serving, code review and pull requests) and Bamboo (CI).
20 I inquired about this generally on the nfp list in May:
21
22 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-nfp/message/0142bac838ed7cb356e58447c6ee20b0
23
24 The conclusion was that the software needed to be released under an open
25 license (preferably FSF / OSI approved.) So for example, Gitlab CE is OK
26 (its an OSI approved licensed) but Gitlab EE is not. The source for Gitlab
27 EE is open (I can go read it) but it's not freely available.
31 > If desired I can setup a demo and/or help maintain the tools, this is my
32 > day job and for those who care about these kind of things I am Atlassian
33 > certified.
34 >
35 > Here is more info on their licensing for Open Source projects:
36 >
37 > https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request
40 My understanding is that this is a binary-own download that, once
41 installed, we can request a license to use. We won't have the source code
42 at all and the license is not free. I don't think it's possible for us to
43 use this software in Gentoo for this reason.
44
45 -A
49 > br,
50 > Mathy