From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] extend profiles.desc to include "experimental" profiles
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 21:44:05
1 On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 09:59 -0500, Doug Klima wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > after dealing with m68k, mips, and the *-fbsd ports, i think we could do with
4 > > a new state for profiles.desc. the new field would simply be "exp" to
5 > > indicate that the profile is experimental and that qa tools should generally
6 > > not issue warnings about them. so in repoman's default mode, you wouldnt get
7 > > any warnings, but if you were to run it in full mode, you'd see stuff like
8 > > normal. this is useful for new projects which are still in the process of
9 > > merging (like *-fbsd, m68k, and any new hardware i get my hands on) and are
10 > > not really ready for "dev" marking. there are plenty of warnings in packages
11 > > right now due to these profiles being labeled as "dev" that are the sole
12 > > problem of the keyword maintainer in question and not the package maintainer.
13 > > -mike
14 > >
15 > I've very much been a proponent of properly listing out all of our
16 > profiles in profiles.desc. This sounds very reasonable and logical. And
17 > hopefully if the tools in question are coded properly, it should be
18 > compatible with older versions until users upgrade.
19
20 To go along with this, I've always wanted a few other minor changes.
21
22 For one, a way to mark a profile as deprecated in profiles.desc so
23 repoman doesn't scan it (currently, we remove tend to remove them from
24 the list). The second would be a change to repoman that's more
25 "invasive" in that it changes current behavior a good bit, but having
26 repoman only scan "stable" profiles, by default, with options to scan
27 the other types. I've always wanted to have *every* valid profile
28 listed in profiles.desc so we can do things like have portage not allow
29 someone to use a profile that isn't listed in profiles.desc (of course,
30 overlay users crazy enough could do their own profiles.desc and it would
31 be stacked with the in-tree one). The main problem with doing this has
32 been the effect on repoman, since it scans every listed profile every
33 time. I know that most of the profile selection tools out there already
34 only show profiles that are listed in profiles.desc, so it wouldn't
35 really be a change for them, but I think it would be useful elsewhere,
36 too. All in all, having profiles.desc actually showing the status of
37 all of the profiles would be great.
38
39 > Good stuff Mike.
40