From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Doug Freed <dwfreed@×××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: Cron <gmirror@dipper> /usr/local/bin/pidlock -s rsync-gen /bin/bash /usr/local/bin/mastermirror/rsync-gen.sh
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 12:41:45
1 On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I should point out that:
5 >>
6 >> 1) CI is detecting this kind of issues much faster than you are,
7 >> and reporting them both to the committer and to a *dedicated* mailing
8 >> list, so your mail is completely redundant and delayed.
9 >
10 > That sounds like a somewhat better solution, although sometimes it can
11 > make sense to send email to where the developers are already, rather
12 > than putting the onus on them to join a separate mailing list.
15 I don't think the idea is to put the onus on people to join a separate
16 list so much as to give people the freedom to NOT join that list.
17
18 Why is it necessary to notify every developer that somebody has not
19 run repoman? For everybody who does what they're supposed to do,
20 there is no lesson to learn, and it is just noise.
21
22 For people interested in building tree-wide QA tools or who are
23 interested in overall trends, then they can mine the list archives.
24 If they have significant observations they can always post here or on
25 planet or whatever, and that would have a much higher S/N ratio.
26
27 >> 2) Spamming the developer mailing list is completely unprofessional
28 >> here. If you are unhappy about those mails, just disable them, and stop
29 >> blaming people for your misery. Trying to prove others incompetent
30 >> helps nobody.
31 >
32 > Come on... I think it's fair game to share news about people breaking
33 > things on the gentoo-dev mailing list. Naming & shaming can be useful
34 > sometimes.
35
36 I think naming and shaming is a short-term game. It might have
37 immediate effects, but it tends to create a culture where nobody wants
38 to get involved, because they don't want to be the person getting
39 named and shamed.
40
41 We should certainly provide information to people about their errors
42 so that they can fix them. We should certainly have this information
43 available to people making tools that can help people avoid errors,
44 since error is human nature. There is no need to hide this
45 information, but we shouldn't have a culture where we're making it an
46 emphasis so that we can all go around pointing fingers.
47
48 If somebody is a consistent problem and is impervious to attempts to
49 work with them (whatever the ultimate reason), we don't need to make
50 them a social pariah until they decide to quit. We just need to have
51 QA revoke their commit rights.
52
53 I'm a little concerned that stuff like this starts to end up working
54 like collective punishment. Fred over here broke the tree, so nobody
55 gets to have desert or recess today; you all know what to do with Fred
56 when he's looking to sit next to somebody at lunch and when the bus
57 drops you off at home later today.
58
59 I don't think that was the original motivation; I think frustration
60 with this being a frequent problem is more the issue and is quite
61 understandable. I just don't think this is the right solution.
64 Rich