From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Doug Freed <dwfreed@×××.edu>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: Cron <gmirror@dipper> /usr/local/bin/pidlock -s rsync-gen /bin/bash /usr/local/bin/mastermirror/rsync-gen.sh
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2017 12:06:54
1 Wow, Michał, this email comes off as pretty harsh to me... Is that
2 really necessary?
3
4 On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 8:26 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 > I should point out that:
6 >
7 > 1) CI is detecting this kind of issues much faster than you are,
8 > and reporting them both to the committer and to a *dedicated* mailing
9 > list, so your mail is completely redundant and delayed.
10
11 That sounds like a somewhat better solution, although sometimes it can
12 make sense to send email to where the developers are already, rather
13 than putting the onus on them to join a separate mailing list.
14
15 > 2) Spamming the developer mailing list is completely unprofessional
16 > here. If you are unhappy about those mails, just disable them, and stop
17 > blaming people for your misery. Trying to prove others incompetent
18 > helps nobody.
19
20 Come on... I think it's fair game to share news about people breaking
21 things on the gentoo-dev mailing list. Naming & shaming can be useful
22 sometimes. And even if you wanted to make this point, you should have
23 made it more constructively.
24
25 > That said, if you forward yet another mail with the same purpose,
26 > I will file a formal complaint at ComRel and request suspending your
27 > mailing list access.
28
29 This is completely out of line for me. It seems to me that Doug has
30 the best intentions. If you disagree with his approach, can we not
31 have a civilized discussion about it rather than going straight into
32 attack mode?
33
34 Cheers,
35