From: Eric G Ortego <eric@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo ~arch testing policy?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:00:14
1 foser wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >as others wrote there are some policies on how to mark stable and that
6 >it shouldn't normally happen the day after something has been added to
7 >~.
8 >
9 >On the other hand it is just a fact that a lot of ~arch upgrading
10 >happens trough stumbling over it (so a lot of packages stay longer than
11 >needed in ~arch), there have been some efforts to attack this problem,
12 >but not too successful. This is an issue that needs attention and ideas
13 >on how to solve this in a satisfactory manner. Since you seem to
14 >actively care about getting things to stable (not everybody does), maybe
15 >you have some ideas on how this should be handled ?
18 How about gentoo-stats? Im not familiar with the project but maybe it
19 could be used to correlate
20 users using package x marked ~arch to to the number of bug reports on x
21 and packages that depend on x ?
22
23 Personally, I keep all my make.conf's ACCEPT_KEYWORDS commented out, and
24 maintain my overlay in subversion with my own ideas of stable ebuilds.
25 When I have been using a package in my overlay successfully for some
26 time, I could do a genlop -t package-name file a bug report then leave
27 it to the devs, but the Im not sure how well that works as I have yet to
28 see many|any of my reports cause a change in the portage tree.
33 > Bugzilla is just not
34 >the perfect place for bump-to-stable requests & stability feedback on ~.
35 >
36 >- foser
40 >--
41 >gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list