From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Textrels in packages policy
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:28:31
1 On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 05:59:17PM -0600, Jory A. Pratt wrote:
2 > Mark Loeser wrote:
3 > > Basically what I'm looking for here is an easy to understand explanation of
4 > > what textrels are, why they are bad, and why they should hold back marking a
5 > > package stable. The only information I've been able to find states that they
6 > > could cause a performance hit, but this doesn't seem to warrant banning them
7 > > completely in my eyes.
8 > >
9 > > Getting a clear cut policy on exactly what issues should hold a package back
10 > > from being marked stable is what I'm looking for. Issues like textrels,
11 > > executable stacks, etc is what I'm looking for to be defined and explained why
12 > > we are to always avoid them. This should be added to existing documentation
13 > > policy so it is somewhere for new devs to know about, and existing devs to
14 > > have for a reference.
15 >
16 > Only problem I see with this is binary packages. We can not control
17 > upstream binaries as everyone is aware of. So when does it become safe
18 > to override stable packages that have texrel's and executable stacks?
19
20 no idea what you mean by "override", but here's a crazy idea ... ask
21 upstream to fix the issues. for example, we just reported executable
22 stacks with the ut2004 game and Ryan of epicgames was so kind as to
23 fix it up for us. some upstream peeps dont even know about these sort
24 of things until you point them out.
25 -mike
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list