From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Please follow keywording policy
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:55:04
1 Aron Griffis wrote:
2
3 >Alin Nastac wrote: [Wed Mar 09 2005, 05:57:15PM EST]
6 >>No gentooer
7 >>expects from a ~arch ebuild to be stable, so the sky would not fall if
8 >>you made a mistake and release it under this keyword. When I hear "I
9 >>cannot mark foo library as ~arch because I don't know how to test it"
10 >>smells like excuse to me.
14 >Earlier you said that you mark ebuilds stable after 30 days with no
15 >bugs. Now you're suggesting that marking ~arch by mistake isn't a big
16 >deal. I don't wish to beat up on you further, but this viewpoint can
17 >lead to stable ebuilds in the tree that don't even build over the
18 >course of one month (other than February ;-)
22 I always test unpack/compile/install functionality of the ebuild before
23 submittion, even if the submittion means only a script change.
24 So, from my point of view, every ebuild of mine at least must get
25 installed. Of course, it doesn't mean that install process will succeed
26 on any other machines than mine...
27 I'm only saying that no one will take your head if you do a mistake, but
28 when you're not doing nothing because you are fearing of a mistake -
29 this is problem. To err is human, you know.
30 As for marking an ebuild stable over a month, this is the ideal case. On
31 average, I mark an ebuild stable on x86 after 2 months.
32
33 Again, I want to emphasize that I didn't break anything in portage tree,
34 even if I have a "shoddy" attitude regarding Gentoo's QA.