From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Glibc, non-glibc and external libs
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 06:04:01
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò posted
2 <200506160441.44787@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.org>, excerpted below,
3 on Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:41:34 +0200:
4
5 > On Thursday 16 June 2005 01:13, Olivier Crete wrote:
6 >> Why dont you just add them to the profile as system packages ?
7 > I though of that but I'm not sure about it. I wish to have a systme
8 > profile as cleaner as possible and libiconv, gettext and other packages
9 > aren't needed for a lot of different packages because they doesn't use
10 > them.
11
12 What about dual-tracking? You say a virtual works but getting it setup is
13 slow. You say the profile option works but you don't want to use it due
14 to bloat. So... what about kicking off the virtual process now, but put
15 it in the profile temporarily as well, avoiding having to wait for the
16 virtual process, with a comment on the profile entry reminding you to
17 review it with an eye for removal if the virtual process is done, say for
18 2006.0.
19
20 After all, if it's not really required for what folks are doing and they
21 don't want the bloat, they can package.provided it, as I've done with a
22 couple things (I HAD to with sash, as I never COULD get the thing to
23 compile here on amd64, for whatever reason, maybe it requires Linux
24 Threads and I run nptl-only??? who knows?), so profile system entries
25 don't make things ABSOLUTELY mandatory.
26
27 Seems the reasonable thing to do, here, but then again, I'm likely missing
28 something.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
34 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list