From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Glibc, non-glibc and external libs
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 02:44:05
1 On Thursday 16 June 2005 01:13, Olivier Crete wrote:
2 > Why dont you just add them to the profile as system packages ?
3 I though of that but I'm not sure about it. I wish to have a systme profile as
4 cleaner as possible and libiconv, gettext and other packages aren't needed
5 for a lot of different packages because they doesn't use them.
6 When I fist needed to install libiconv in the Gentoo/FreeBSD I was tinkering
7 with, was just because I needed it ot have glib2 working for irssi.. I was
8 already using that box as ftp and mail server.
9 So I much prefer having them just when needed and not "because it's possible
10 that someone uses them", else it will be exactly as they were in the libc
11 (one of the key strengths of *BSD is the fact that the libc is minimal and
12 this makes the things simpler to maintain).
15 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
16 Gentoo Developer (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64)
17
18 http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/