From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] borked release media
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 11:50:46
1 On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 12:25 AM, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
2 > I have never once been able to grab a portage snapshot and build a
3 > stage 1, 2, 3 series from it without encountering at least a couple of
4 > problems with the tree.
5
6 Ditto - the latest issue I've run into is: 443472. Probably won't
7 impact the average user, and perhaps I should just modify the script
8 to not bother reading that file and figure out what the latest build
9 is on its own.
12 > I think we should consider things that break release media serious
13 > regressions. I don't know what that entails specifically, but whether
14 > it need be QA bashing down your door or a quick fix or revert, it sure
15 > would be nice to get Gentoo to a place where release media always
16 > works.
17
18 Agreed. If a user can't just burn a CD and then do an emerge kde-meta
19 there is a problem.
22 > In short, I think the conversation we should be having should be about
23 > how to avoid breaking release builds and how to quickly fix problems
24 > when they're discovered.
25
26 I think those working with catalyst have the most to add regarding
27 what breaks them.
28
29 As far as detect-ability goes, do we need some kind of tinderbox that
30 just does a daily build. Perhaps just build from stage3 to a couple
31 of world targets, including one with some server-oriented software,
32 one with gnome, and one with kde? I've reported a bunch of bugs with
33 the EC2 bootstrap script described on my blog (not my original work),
34 but it is only automated from a build perspective - testing is manual.
35 That takes about 18 hours to build (with an emphasis on economy), and
36 I use spot instances so it really only costs maybe a buck or two.
37
38 My experience has been that if it builds it usually works. So, simply
39 testing for whether the build completes is a pretty-good first step.
40
41 Of course, for system packages our recourse isn't necessarily good,
42 since we don't have a test branch or anything like that. If we wanted
43 to revert we'd have to impact users who already upgraded. Obviously
44 the goal would be to fix in place with a new revbump, assuming that
45 were possible.
46
47 Rich