From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
To: Jonathan Kelly <j0n@×××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Overriding package mask
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 11:26:45
1 On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 16:57:34 +1000
2 Jonathan Kelly <j0n@×××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > > It would make sense (to me anyway) if the local ebuilds in
5 > > $PORTDIR_OVERLAY were *NOT* checked against packages.mask, that way us
6 ..
7 > I think that is a logical and great idea.
8
9 I disgree. I think it's a hack that doesn't really solve the problem at
10 hand, which is "supplementary" package masking, using the package
11 mask in /usr/portage as the 'canonical' package mask and then using
12 a second package mask to over ride that.
13
14 PORTDIR_OVERLAY is there for just one reason, to provide *local*
15 ebuilds. If the behavior of ebuilds is different here, that is an
16 inferred behavior and not a logical one.
17
18 package masking and ebuilds are separate, keep their interfaces
19 separate.
22 Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.
23
24 Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
25 C and Python Code Gardener