From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Cutting down on non-cascaded profiles
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 15:23:25
1 Stephen P. Becker posted <42765654.3010404@g.o>, excerpted below,
2 on Mon, 02 May 2005 12:33:24 -0400:
3
4 > Removing old profiles will do nothing other than forcing them to set a new
5 > profile. Changing the profile won't stop people from doing security only
6 > updates.
7
8 Except that isn't quite correct, for that
9 deprecated-profile-security-update-only person we're talking about.
10
11 Such a person isn't likely to have a version of portage that can handle
12 cascading profiles, which /is/ after all what the thread is about, and
13 gcc and other parts of the toolchain are likely to be equally outdated
14 (gcc-2.95, python 2.2, maybe earlier, etc). Remove their flat profile, and
15 they may have an entirely broken portage, which they can't fix because
16 they can no longer parse the tree, and may not be able to compile certain
17 dependencies to get it working again even if they could.
18
19 I haven't taken a look at the emergency procedures for a broken portage,
20 recently, altho IIRC it now simply points to a place where a binary
21 package can be downloaded. Are those procedures and binary package
22 updated enough to cope with cascading profiles, while still being backward
23 compatible with python 2.2 and gcc 2.95?
24
25 Consider a user off the net, at least as far as the bandwidth necessary to
26 do upgrades, for a year and a half. Maybe they were a missionary to some
27 remote location for the period, or "unavoidably detained" for political or
28 other reasons. They finally get back to "Internet civilisation", and find
29 their Gentoo so outdated they can't even update it!
30
31 Of course, if they're /that/ far out of date, perhaps a new install,
32 stage-three and packages CD, is the most efficient way to get up and
33 running again. That'd be my approach, if I found myself syncing after a
34 year and a half out of circulation, and further assuming my machine
35 (and personal know-how) was even more outdated, such that a stage-1
36 install didn't sound palatable.
37
38 Is there a convenient profile archive somewhere? If not, perhaps one
39 should be created, and at deletion from the tree, the profile dir in
40 question is replaced with a file (or the empty dir with only that
41 file) pointing to the archive. This archive could then keep the last
42 workable profile snapshot around for another six months or so, or perhaps
43 even forever, given the cost of storage now days. The pointer to it in
44 the tree could then be removed 30 days or 6 months after the profile
45 itself was removed, /forcing/ action on any laggards.
50 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
51 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list