From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Cutting down on non-cascaded profiles
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 16:33:26
1 > What is bad about doing *only* `emerge --sync` and security updates?
2
3 Nothing, however if they have been doing security only updates, I think
4 that their install won't be *too* far behind the stable tree. Besides,
5 at some point old ebuilds are completely removed from portage anyway,
6 and therefore there is no support for those versions if somebody tries
7 to submit a bug. This is really getting into a whole different
8 discussion altogether about having a security update only tree, but
9 there has been talk of this a few times before...search the mailing list
10 archives.
11
12 > This is not my case so it's quite possible that no such users exist (so
13 > the gentoo-dev ml isn't probably the best place to ask if they exist,
14 > btw), but if you do something that will prevent *everyone* who is so
15 > "late with upgrades" from continuing, you'll introduce (IMHO dangerous)
16 > precedence about backward compatibility.
17
18 Removing old profiles will do nothing other than forcing them to set a
19 new profile. Changing the profile won't stop people from doing security
20 only updates.
21
22 -Steve
23 --