From: Bart Verwilst <verwilst@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gcc 3.0.4 installed system
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 08:12:01
1 Hmm..
2
3 Great that gentoo is now gcc3.x compliant :o)
4 But what are the advantages of using gcc 3.x over gcc 2.95.x?
5 Isn't gcc 3.x slower than 2.95?
6
7 Thanks, great work!
8
9 On Saturday 06 April 2002 14:01, Geert Bevin wrote:
10 || Hi all,
11 ||
12 || I finally installed 1.0 from scratch and decided to try it out with gcc
13 || 3.0.4 instead of 2.95.3. Along the way I encountered some problems, but
14 || surprisingly little. I've fixed everything that needed fixing and sadly
15 || some packages are backwards incompatible. For that reason and for the
16 || ease of maintenance I've created a dedicated gcc 3 profile.
17 ||
18 || So, for those that want to try this out, just link the default-1.0-gcc3
19 || profile instead of default-1.0 to /etc/make.profile. Note that this will
20 || only work for installations from scratch and not for updates since
21 || applications that link against libstdc++ v2 require the libraries of gcc
22 || v2 and not gcc v3.
23 ||
24 || There are still some packages that don't compile such as galeon and
25 || openjade, but these will be fixed in a matter of time since I need them
26 || ;-) Feel free to submit fixes too.
27 ||
28 || Best regards,
29 ||
30 || Geert Bevin