From: Mike Doty <kingtaco@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo vmware/virtualbox/qemu images
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 02:06:20
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 19:01 +0200, Tiziano Müller wrote:
3 >> Hi there,
4 >>
5 >> At the OpenExpo here in Zurich I got many requests for a vmware image of
6 >> Gentoo. What do you think of providing a "live image" in addition to the
7 >> minimal- and live-cd's?
8 >
9 > Bug #115902
10 >
11 > If you can answer the questions in that bug sufficiently, feel free to
12 > revisit this. Also, please contact the team that would likely be doing
13 > all of the work to get this sort of thing done prior to bringing up such
14 > a proposal, especially when there's already a bug report open for
15 > it. ;]
16 >
17 > We now have a wonderful x86 Release Coordinator, which was one of the
18 > blockers in doing a VMware image before. Of course, there's always the
19 > "what is Gentoo" question to determine what we would put in a VM.
20 >
21 > I don't get this obsession with a "live image" when someone can boot the
22 > LiveCD/LiveDVD on real hardware *or* in VMware. They can even boot the
23 > ISO directly and not even have to burn to disk, so people without a DVD
24 > burner can still use the LiveDVD. So exactly what problem are we trying
25 > to solve with creating an image that cannot be solved with our current
26 > media? Where do you plan on storing such a large image? What other
27 > media are you planning on us removing to support it?
28 >
29 > (By the way, I am planning on adding support for creating VMware images
30 > to catalyst, so this will eventually be something much easier for us in
31 > Release Engineering...)
32 >
33 The only advantage I see is less than technical people(read windows/osx
34 users) who don't know/are afraid of ISOs and such, yet know how to
35 operate vmware-player. Were we to consider "Enterprise Gentoo" we'd
36 certainly want to offer it to people interested in gentoo. Think of it
37 more as a marketing tool.
38
39 As for what to put on it, liveDVD is the only sane choice. That said;
40 It would be awsome if when catalyst can build vmware images, to make a
41 minimal one as well, so groups(maybe xfce4, kde, ....) can make their
42 own demos based on that.
46 Mike Doty kingtaco -at- gentoo.org
47 Gentoo Infrastructure
48 Gentoo/AMD64 Strategic Lead
49 GPG: E1A5 1C9C 93FE F430 C1D6 F2AF 806B A2E4 19F4 AE05
51 --
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list