From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo vmware/virtualbox/qemu images
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 06:27:11
1 Mike Doty wrote:
2 >> I don't get this obsession with a "live image" when someone can boot the
3 >> LiveCD/LiveDVD on real hardware *or* in VMware. They can even boot the
4 >> ISO directly and not even have to burn to disk, so people without a DVD
5 >> burner can still use the LiveDVD. So exactly what problem are we trying
6 >> to solve with creating an image that cannot be solved with our current
7 >> media? Where do you plan on storing such a large image? What other
8 >> media are you planning on us removing to support it?
9 >>
10 >> (By the way, I am planning on adding support for creating VMware images
11 >> to catalyst, so this will eventually be something much easier for us in
12 >> Release Engineering...)
13 >>
14 > The only advantage I see is less than technical people(read windows/osx
15 > users) who don't know/are afraid of ISOs and such, yet know how to
16 > operate vmware-player. Were we to consider "Enterprise Gentoo" we'd
17 > certainly want to offer it to people interested in gentoo. Think of it
18 > more as a marketing tool.
19 >
20 > As for what to put on it, liveDVD is the only sane choice. That said;
21 > It would be awsome if when catalyst can build vmware images, to make a
22 > minimal one as well, so groups(maybe xfce4, kde, ....) can make their
23 > own demos based on that.
24 >
25 This guy: http://gentoovm.blogspot.com/ works for vmware according to his
26 first post here: http://www.vmwhere.net/category/gentoo/ (where he makes
27 clear he has nothing to do with releng, and that his work is in no way to
28 be seen as official.) He might be a good guy to rope in? He seems to be
29 having trouble with hosting and hasn't released since 2006.0 so he'd most
30 likely welcome the approach, imo.
31
32 Wrt to second use case (custom ones for groups) there's nothing stopping
33 someone doing that from a minimal iso right now afaict. (It's a lot easier
34 if you work in a partition, and make the image at the end for deployment.)
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list