From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo vmware/virtualbox/qemu images
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:04:32
1 On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 07:19 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > This guy: http://gentoovm.blogspot.com/ works for vmware according to his
3 > first post here: http://www.vmwhere.net/category/gentoo/ (where he makes
4 > clear he has nothing to do with releng, and that his work is in no way to
5 > be seen as official.) He might be a good guy to rope in? He seems to be
6 > having trouble with hosting and hasn't released since 2006.0 so he'd most
7 > likely welcome the approach, imo.
8
9 He was on the bug. Also, people seem to forget that we would also very
10 likely have an issue with hosting, too. We do not have unlimited space
11 on our community-donated mirrors. It has always been a constant
12 struggle within Release Engineering to keep our sizes down. This is one
13 of the reasons that we've not undertaken such a task. To be honest,
14 once I get support in catalyst, it'll be much more likely that I'll end
15 up creating these, since I'll be able to share the catalyst caches and
16 such between LiveDVD and VM image builds, so it'll take almost no time
17 to produce the builds.
18
19 Currently, Release Engineering is quite understaffed. We have lost a
20 few release coordinators between the last release and now. The arch
21 teams are picking up the slack and getting people to fill the roles, but
22 they have to be trained, which means more time spent training and less
23 time spent working, which delays a release fairly significantly. I have
24 no intentions on pulling in more media for us to support when we're
25 having difficulty supporting what we have now. That's just an
26 unfortunate fact of life.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams