From: Thomas Anderson <gentoofan23@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Regen2 ( was QA Overlay Layout support )
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:59:36
1 On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 02:32:13AM -0500, Caleb Cushing wrote:
2 > > Further, overlays are good places to put ebuilds for software that is more
3 > > experimental than what's expected for ~arch. That includes live ebuilds. In the
4 > > end, overlays have a (far) lower level of guaranteed quality than the main tree,
5 > > for their ebuilds
6 >
7 > because ~arch is supposed to work? take open bug on wine-1.1.16 it
8 > doesn't build on amd64 and yet it's ~amd64. how about that nam ebuild
9 > that has invalid bash that I mentioned? that's some quality work
10 > there. The point is the tree is no better or worse than the overlays
11 > in many cases.
12
13 Heh, that's the problem with ~arch. ~amd64 keywords aren't added for
14 every new version; keywords are carried over from the previous version.
15 Having to test each new version of a package before it receiving a
16 keyword puts far too much stress on the arch teams(who are struggling
17 under the current workload, a lot of >75 stable request bugs). What
18 happens is the keyword gets carried over from the previous version. So
19 if a developer screws up, the arch teams really have no idea because 1)
20 we don't get assigned any bug with our keyword in it. 2) We don't run
21 ~arch.
25 Thomas Anderson
26 Gentoo Developer
28 Areas of responsibility:
29 AMD64, Secretary to the Gentoo Council